Training Course for Spiritual Guides:
Exeter from September 2012
2012/14 Programme for those accompanying others
on their Christian spiritual journey
Breakthrough to Life, in partnership with the Spiritual Companions Network for Devon and the Diocese of Exeter, will be running a fourth two year ecumenical programme in 2012, commencing in September.
Normally the 'qualification' required before training is that an individual is accompanying another/others on their Christian journey, either formally or informally. If others approach you for such accompaniment, you may have the necessary attributes.
Meeting monthly in Exeter, with guest speakers and facilitators, the day runs from 10.00am to 3.30pm. A two-day retreat concludes each year of the programme.
Please note that the deadline for applications is now the 31st August 2012.
The programme will comprise:
Communication skills and understanding personality
- Personality profiling
- Core conditions of a person centred approach
- Listening skills
Knowledge, wisdom and insight
- Helpful Biblical texts
- Different traditions of spirituality, e.g. Ignatian, Desert Spirituality, Franciscan etc.
- Different approaches to prayer
- Loss – in the widest sense
- Spiritual darkness and psychological danger zones
- Helpful resources
- Understanding boundaries
- Contract and review process
- Understanding the interface between spiritual direction and counselling, and appropriate roles and responses
- First session – what needs to happen
Retreat and fallow sessions – space
- Time apart – retreat
- Fallow sessions – spaces in the program to address subjects that have emerged
- Worship to begin and end each session – led by participants
Download an application form or for further information please write to or email us at either of the addresses below.
Revd Carolyn Brodribb, The Rectory, Cleave Hill, Dolton, Winkleigh, Devon EX19 8QT, Tel No. 01805 804264,
Revd Kathy Roberts, The Rectory, Black Torrington, Beaworthy, Devon EX21 5PU, Tel No. 01409 231279