Exploring Ordained Ministry
If you feel that God may be calling you to ordained ministry, contact Hannah in the first instance (details below) who will put you in touch with a Vocations Adviser. If the Vocations Advisor suggests you explore ordained ministry he or she will contact the Diocesan Director of Ordinands (or DDO) who will take things with you from there.
The DDO for the Diocese of Exeter is the Revd Becky Totterdell (see below). Becky works with a team of Assistant DDOs and they give specialist attention to those who are discerning God’s calling to ordained ministry. Becky works from, and closely with, the Bishop’s office.
Here are some further things which may help as you explore ordained ministry:
- Your spiritual life is the most important thing to sustain you on your vocational journey. If you don’t know what to pray, see here for some written prayers for discerning vocation http://vocation.churchofengland.org/prayer-resources
- Talk to your Vicar. You don’t have to seek your Vicar’s permission before you see a Vocations adviser or attend a Vocations event, but he/she may be a key person in encouraging and supporting you, and will be asked for a reference before you see the DDO.
- Talk to trusted friends, family members and members of your congregation. Many people choose not to make it public that they are starting to explore ordination, but it is useful to have a few people you can confide in. If you are married, it is important that your spouse supports you as the journey will affect them too.
- Visit http://vocation.churchofengland.org and callwaiting.org which contain useful information about exploring ordination.
- Go on an Exploring Vocation Day. Details of these days can be found on the Events page.
- Hear stories of others who have been on the journey of selection and training for ordained ministry. Speak to ordained people that you know, and watch the videos below to hear the stories of some current ordinands in the Diocese of Exeter.
Vocations video: Martyn Tyrrell from Trinity, Bristol, talks about his calling.
Vocations Development Officer:
Revd Hannah Alderson 01392 724804 Email Hannah
Diocesan Director of Ordinands:
The Revd Canon Becky Totterdell 01392 477702 Email Becky