CAPTION: Revd Leonard Dawea, Bishop of Temotu and the Rt Revd Ellison Quity, Bishop of Ysabel at the rededication service

Rededication of Patteson’s Cross

Posted: 13th February, 2017

On Thursday 9th February, a prominent East Devon landmark was rededicated by two Anglican Bishops who travelled over 10,000 miles to pay their respects. Patteson’s Cross, (between Feniton and Ottery St Mary), was commissioned to remember John Coleridge Patteson from East Devon, who was a missionary, the first Bishop of Melanesia and martyred in the Solomon Islands in 1871.

Late in 2015, following local concerns about the monument’s state of neglect, the Ottery St Mary Heritage Society launched a fundraising campaign for a programme of work to refurbish this historic memorial.  It was thought that a minimum spend of £5,000 would achieve a noticeable and lasting improvement to the monument.

The work was completed last September, and the funding target was achieved by the end of 2016. The institutions at which Bishop Patteson received his education – The King’s School at Ottery St Mary, Eton College and the Oxford Colleges of Balliol and Merton – gave generous donations.  Major institutional grant providers included the Tale Valley Trust, Allchurches Foundation Trust, Devon County Council and Ottery St Mary Town Council.  The Heritage Society is most grateful, not only to the aforementioned, but also to many individuals for their generosity.

The rededicating ceremony for the memorial was held on February 9th at 12 noon by the Rt Revd Leonard Dawea, Bishop of Temotu and the Rt Revd Ellison Quity, Bishop of Ysabel, both in the Solomon Islands, it marked a fitting completion to the refurbishment project.

« BACK TO NEWS PAGE