Encouraging Generous Giving
Why do we give?
“For God so loved the world that he gave his only son Jesus Christ” (John 3:16a)
The Christian understanding of giving is distinctive, and is a central part of our discipleship: it is giving back to God from what he has given us, which is everything! Giving starts with God in creation, and generosity is at the heart of God’s character: “Jesus giving his life for us is the ultimate demonstration of God’s generosity and grace.” (Rowan Williams).
We are called to give and to live generously. This will both resource God’s mission and change our lifestyle. Scripture tells us that our giving should be:
- A priority (Deut 26:2-3, 1 Cor 16:2, 2 Cor 8:5)
- Prayerful (1 Chron 29:10-14)
- Planned but not prescriptive, allowing spontaneity (2 Cor 9:7)
- Proportionate and realistic (1 Cor 16:2, 2 Cor 8:11-13)
- Given in community (Acts 2:42-47, 2 Cor 8:13-14)
- Sacrificial (Luke 21: 1-4, 2 Cor 9:7-8)
- Cheerfully (2 Cor 9:7-8)
Welcome to the Diocese of Exeter’s give.net fundraising page.
All funds donated through this page will help to support mission and ministry across Devon. Church members should first of all consider their giving to their own parish church. However, additional gifts to support the wider mission and ministry of the church across Devon would be greatly welcomed, and allow the Church to flourish in parts of the diocese that are less wealthy or where we might otherwise struggle
Think about how much more of God’s work could be achieved if we made further progress towards the target of giving 5% of our after-tax income!
It is also important to celebrate the giving that already takes place in the Diocese:
- Hundreds of thousands of hours of time are given in volunteering within our churches and in the local community;
- Planned giving in the Diocese averages just over 3% of after-tax income which is the same as the national average;
- About 2/3 of giving is gift-aided;
- Our parishes give almost £1m to other charities each year.
Support and Resources for Parishes
Katie Stevenson, Mission Resources Adviser, is available to support parishes with stewardship and generous giving. Please email Katie, or telephone on 01392 294 960.
Please also see the: Mission Resources Leaflet August 2017