Exeter Diocesan Board of Finance
The financial affairs and assets of the Diocese of Exeter are managed through the Exeter Diocesan Board of Finance Limited, which was set up in 1922 as a company limited by guarantee and which is also registered as a charity.
How the Diocese is funded
The work of the diocese throughout all of its parishes and congregations is funded in a variety of ways. The video below, made in conjunction with Bristol Diocese, explains where the funding comes from and how it is spent.
The majority of the income of the Diocese comes from the generosity of congregations through the Common Fund. This co-operation allows for the Diocese truly to be the Church of England in Devon, all of Devon. Please see the Common Fund page on this website for more information.
To understand more of the detail for 2016, please view: Budget 2016
If you are responsible for any part of the finances within your church there are documents and forms that will help you in your work.
Responsibilities of the Board of Finance
The principal responsibilities of the Board of Finance are:-
• The custody and management of funds and assets of the Diocese and the Exeter Diocesan Board of Education
• Advising Diocesan Synod on the financial aspects of its policies
• The preparation of an annual estimate of income and expenditure for the Diocese for approval by Diocesan Synod
• Advising on the action needed to raise the income necessary to finance expenditure
• The preparation of annual accounts
• Acting as employer in respect of Diocesan staff and liaising with the Central Church on the payment of stipends to clergy
• Acting as custodian trustee in respect of all parish property and parish endowment funds.
View the 2015 Financial Statements
The Members of the Board of Finance are the members of the Diocesan Synod and the Directors are the current members of the Bishop’s Council and Standing Committee. Some of the detailed financial work is delegated to the Assets Group or to the Board’s Standing Committee.