Spiritual Accompaniment, also known as Spiritual Direction is:
- a process of accompanying someone on a journey of a deepening relationship with God.
- a confidential relationship of trust between two people, in which one listens to and may pray with the other, discerning, affirming and offering guidance in the life-long journey of spiritual maturity.
- it can be of help to anyone who wants to grow in faith and spiritual practice.
A Spiritual Director gives:
- a safe and secure relationship in which to explore and grow in one’s relationship with God
- dedicated time, especially valuable in the midst of a busy life
- encouragement and affirmation
- a place in which to explore questions and difficulties
- guidance in exploring fresh approaches to prayer
- the discipline of self-examination and being accountable to another
- companionship during a period of discernment or change
Who can help?
In Devon, this ministry is offered by many people – men and women; ordained and lay; of all denominations. Most are experienced in this work and bring a variety of gifts to it. All are committed to their own growth in responding to the invitation of God to know and to love Him.
There is a good geographical spread, so the choice may be made to see someone closer to home or to travel further afield. Length and frequency of meetings varies but the norm is to meet for about an hour and at intervals of anything from 4 weeks to 4 months.
Spiritual Direction Referral Service
Under auspices of Diocese of Exeter but open to all in Devon, it exists to put those who seek accompaniment in touch with those who offer this ministry.
An initial conversation will take place either by phone or face-face, to help to find the best match.
This will cover preferences such as male/female, ordained/lay, close to home or further afield; spiritual tradition and particular areas in which help is sought. Questions about the process of accompaniment can be addressed at this time.
An introduction will then be made. If it does not work out, either side may withdraw without embarrassment.
Email this address or call: 07722 106632.