Resources and Training
- Growing the Rural Church Expression of Interest Form
- Developing a Mission Action Plan
- Diocese of Exeter Church Buildings Team
- National Church of England Parish Resources website
Please click a heading to view the relevant list of resources.
Annual Report 2018: Our Year 2018.
We are delighted to publish our second annual report, Our Year 2018. We have so enjoyed reflecting on our journey in 2018 and hope you will too. The report gives an insight into our three areas of work:
- Increasing capacity for mission
- Developing sustainable uses of church buildings in partnership with local communities
- Sharing our learning with others so all can benefit from the project’s resources
Caring for your Church Building: Support with ongoing care and maintenance.
Using your Church Building to Serve the Wider Community: Food for thought as you consider how your building might best serve the needs of both the congregation and the wider community.
Encouraging Tourism: Explore means of promoting your church as a place of interest.
Developing Enterprise Opportunities: Explore the possibility of setting up a social enterprise in your church building.
Training: Opportunities for training run by both the Diocese and other local organisations.
Funding: Opportunities to apply for funding, and support with fundraising.
- ChurchCare: The Church of England’s national resource to support the maintenance and development of church buildings.
- National Churches Trust Friends Group Toolkit: A guide to different options for formally involving your community in caring for your church building.
- Parish Resources Guide to Friends’ Schemes: Guide to developing a Friends’ Scheme for your church.
- Maintaining your building
- Looking after your contents
- Guidance and advice on a range of issues
- Safety and security
- Crossing the Threshold Toolkit: A guide to support churches with adapting church buildings for wider community use. Produced by the Diocese of Hereford.
- Business Planning Toolkit: A toolkit to help churches to make a strong business case for heritage regeneration projects. Produced by the Churches Conservation Trust.
- Open Welcome: A toolkit to help churches consider how they might use their buildings to offer welcome and hospitality to the wider community. Produced by Germinate: The Arthur Rank Centre.
- Equipping for Rural Mission: A guide to help churches to better understand the needs of the local community in order to review and develop mission. Produced by Germinate: The Arthur Rank Centre.
- Getting the most out of your buildings: A guide to help churches consider how they might get the most out of their buildings as a tool for mission and a community resource. Produced by Germinate: The Arthur Rank Centre.
- Rural Connectivity: Could your church host telecoms equipment to improve coverage in your area?
- Wider use of church buildings
- Adapting your building
- National Churches Trust Explore Churches Website: A website that promotes churches as tourist attractions. Have a browse, and complete the registration form if you would like your church to feature!
- Inspired NorthEast Toolkit: Toolkit designed to help encourage visitors to churches. Produced by Inspired Northeast, a Heritage Lottery Funded project that supports church congregations in the North East as they consider or undertake church development projects.
- Social Enterprise and Rural Places of Worship in England: A report on research commissioned by the Heritage Lottery Fund looking at how social enterprise can contribute to the sustainability of rural places of worship.
- Germinate Enterprise: A resource and training opportunity that churches can use to support the development of social enterprise. Produced by Germinate: The Arthur Rank Centre.
- Stir to Action Community Toolbox: A range of tools to help you engage your community, find the right legal structures, work together and raise social finance.
- Social Enterprise UK: A membership organisation which exists to amplify the voice of its members and get social enterprise on the radars of decision makers across sectors. They also carry out leading research to build the evidence base for social enterprises. They have a strong regional presence in communities through our Social Enterprise Places Programme. Members can get involved in all aspects of their work and are at the heart of everything they do. They have a range of resources for setting up an enterprise as well as great opportunities for networking with others.
- UnLtd: The leading provider of support to social entrepreneurs in the UK and offers the largest such network in the world. They resource hundreds of individuals each year through its core Awards programme. UnLtd operates a unique model by investing directly in individuals and offering a complete package of resources; from awards of funding to ongoing advice, networking and practical support.
- Training and events in the Diocese of Exeter.
- Devon Communities Together: The community council for Devon, helping communities help themselves.
- Germinate: Ecumenical organisation developing community and social projects, resourcing and training to help rural churches and communities to flourish.
- Action East Devon: Charity working with volunteers and voluntary organisations in East Devon to give them access to the support they need to make their community stronger.
- North Devon Voluntary Services: Charity providing support to voluntary organisations and social enterprises in North Devon.
- South Hams Community and Voluntary Services: Organisation supporting local voluntary organisations, community groups and charities in the South Hams area.
- West Devon CVS: Charity supporting voluntary groups, charities, social enterprises and other not-for-profit organisations in West Devon to bring about positive change and build stronger communities.
- Teignbridge CVS: Organisation supporting local charities, voluntary groups and social enterprises in Teignbridge to build a strong community.
- Torridge CVS: Charity providing support to voluntary and community groups across the Torridge District.
- Devon Voluntary Action: Devon-wide partnership offering help, advice, training and support to voluntary and community sector groups across Devon.
- Diocesan Church Buildings Team Training for Parish Officers.
It’s always worth giving the team a ring if you’re looking for funding. Opportunities change very quickly and we can give you the most up to date information we have.