Mental Health First Aid training
The Diocese of Exeter is working with training provider fiveways devon to deliver a range of Mental Health First Aid courses accredited by Mental Health First Aid England. The vision is for churches and their members to serve, understand and welcome their communities by having high quality training and support.
fiveways devon are very generously subsidising half-day introductory training for as many as Christians as possible, subsequent more in-depth training for a network of local champions, and facilitating free follow-up peer support sessions. This is open to all denominations, both clergy and lay people. The first half-day online courses are happening July-Dec 2020 – booking details below.
Why is this so important?
- 1 in 4 of us will experience mental health difficulties in any given year.
- Being misunderstood when seeking help or going to a place of perceived safety (such as a church) can significantly set back recovery and in some cases can trigger an episode of severe mental ill health.
- The renewing of our minds and helping the vulnerable are two strong biblical principles that sit at the heart of serving others in Jesus’ name.
- fiveways devon has a 100% good or above trainee satisfaction rate in Mental Health First Aid Training
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Public Health
- Mental Health First Aid England is the only provider of licensed MHFA training in England.
- A global movement of over 3 million MHFA-trained people in 25 countries
Half Day Youth Online Course – 3 hours – July-December 2020
This course has specific examples about interactions with young people; most principles also apply for adults. It is open to all denominations, both clergy and lay people.
Topics include: What is mental health?; protective and risk factors; stigma and discrimination; mental health continuum; case studies; self-harm and suicide; signs & symptoms of mental ill health; the stress container model; recovery; self-awareness and self-care.
This course is repeated on each of the following dates, to maximise accessibility. Please note the need to book by at least 2 weeks in advance to enable course materials to be sent to you.
|Month||Course Code||Date||Time||(Book by:)||Book|
|July||YHD-07-08-DE||Wednesday 15th July 2020||1330-1630||FULLY BOOKED||Fully booked|
|August||YHD-08-27-DE||Thursday 27th August 2020||0930-1230||(13th August)||Book here|
|September||YHD-09-12-DE||Saturday 12th Septemer 2020||1330-1630||(29th August)||Book here|
|October||YHD-10-05-DE||Monday 5th October 2020||1330-1630||(21st September)||Book here|
|November||YHD-11-10-DE||Tuesday 10th November 2020||0930-1230||(27th October)||Book here|
|December||YHD-12-02-DE||Wednesday 2nd December 2020||0930-1230||(18th November)||Book here|
The course costs £20. This has been generously subsidised by fiveways Devon and includes paper resources sent to participants in advance, the online training, and free follow-up support facilitation. The Diocese of Exeter is funding wider core costs, and is keen for this training to be accessible to all. If you are on a low income, further subsidy may be available.