Safer Recruitment Resources
- Safer Recruitment Practice Guidance: the key practice guidance that all PCCs and Parish Safeguarding Representatives should read to understand the Safer Recruitment process that must be followed for volunteer or paid appointments.
- Safer Recruitment Diocese of Exeter Flowchart: a simple to follow flowchart that outlines the basic steps in following the Safer Recruitment process.
- Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Sample Parish Policy: a template to be adopted by all parishes to comply with legal restrictions and expectations over the recruitment/appointment of ex-offenders to parish roles.
- Church Volunteer Worker Safer Recruitment Record template: This spreadsheet is provided as a template for recording your volunteers’/workers’ details for Safeguarding and Safer Recruitment purposes. You do not have to use this tool (many of you will have your own systems for recording these details), but we are making it available for anyone who does not currently have a recording mechanism or wishes to move from paper-based to electronic records.
- Volunteer Agreement for work with Children and Young People: A template to base volunteer agreements on when recruiting for activities involving children and young people.
- Code of Conduct for Volunteers working with Children and Young People: A template code of conduct that accompanies the Volunteer Agreement for Work with Children & Young People, which should be tailored to suit your local context.
- Young Person Volunteer Agreement: A template volunteer agreement for volunteers in your church aged under 18.
- Code of Conduct for Young Volunteers: A template code of conduct for volunteers aged under 18 to accompany the Young Person Volunteer Agreement, which should be tailored to suit your local context.
We have provided the Safer Recruitment (S1) training module as a training video for you to share with all church officers involved in the appointments process.
Role Description Bank
The role description templates below contain the key safeguarding responsibilities along with generic duties and responsibilities for the specific role outlined. Please adapt the role descriptions to fit your local circumstances:
- Role Description – Bell Ringing Teacher
- Role Description – Church/PCC Treasurer
- Role Description – Churchwarden
- Role Description – DBS Verifier
- Role Description – Generic Parish Volunteer
- Role Description – Home Communion Visitor
- Role Description – Junior Church Helper
- Role Description – Junior Church Leader
- Role Description – Organist/Director of Music
- Role Description – Pastoral Visitor in RA
- Role Description – Pastoral Visitor not in RA
- Role Description – PCC Member
- Role Description – Parish Safeguarding Representative
- Role Description – Server
- Role Description – Tower Captain (CCCBR template)
- Role Description – Verger
Resources specific to DBS checking are available from our DBS Administration Resources page.
Back to Safeguarding Resources page.