The Diocesan Registry
The Work of the Diocesan Registry
The Diocesan Registrar is the legal officer of the Diocese. The Diocesan Registry are responsible for:
- Giving general legal advice to clergy, parish officers, boards and councils about their functions
- Responding to enquires relating to marriage, baptism, confirmation and burial from clergy and laity
- Acting as Registrar of the Diocesan Synod
- Preparing various documents and the maintenance of Diocesan records
- Operating of the faculty jurisdiction
Such advice is given free of charge to parishes and diocesan officers. It is always best to ask for advice from the Registry sooner rather than later, as legal problems, if left unaddressed, can become increasingly difficult to resolve.
Contact details are as follows:
Alison Stock – Diocesan Registrar
Tel: 01392 210700 Email Alison Stock
Partner, Stephens Scown LLP
Alison became Diocesan Registrar on 1st May 2018 and is responsible for providing legal advice to the Bishop of Exeter and the wider Diocese on all ecclesiastical matters.
Nathalie Cook – Registry Clerk Email Nathalie Cook
The Chancellor for the Diocese is The Rt Hon Sir Andrew McFarlane. The Chancellor is the judge for the Diocese in matters of church law, which are heard in a Consistory Court. He also acts as the Bishop’s legal advisor.
Chancellor McFarlane is also a Family Division High Court Judge and a Lord Justice of Appeal.