How do I raise a concern or make a complaint?
Who is your concern or complaint about?
- An employee of The Exeter Diocesan Board of Finance (EDBF). This would include staff who work at the Old Deanery, St Marks Plymouth, the Archdeacons offices, the Safeguarding department and the Diocesan Director of Ordinands team
- A member of the clergy or a licensed lay minister
)An employee of The Exeter Diocesan Board of Finance (EDBF)- how do I raise a concern or make a complaint?
The Exeter Diocesan Board of Finance (EDBF) views complaints as an opportunity to learn and improve for the future, as well as a chance to put things right for the person that has made the complaint.
In addition to this general policy, there is a companion policy relating specifically to safeguarding complaints, that can be found here: Safeguarding and DBS.
Our policy is:
- To provide a fair complaints procedure which is clear and easy to use for anyone wishing to make a complaint
- To publicise the existence of our complaints procedure, including via the diocesan website, so that people know how to contact us to make a complaint
- To make sure that all EDBF staff know what to do if a complaint is received
- To make sure all complaints are investigated fairly and in a timely way
- To make sure that complaints are, wherever possible, resolved and that relationships are repaired and reconciliation explored
- To gather information which helps us to improve what we do
A member of the clergy or a licensed lay minister
If you have a concern about a minister which involves the safeguarding of a child, young person or vulnerable adult, please contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team.
Otherwise, if you have an issue or concern about a minister, please try to resolve matters in the first instance by contacting the minister concerned to speak with her/him about your concerns and issues, ideally face to face wherever possible.
If you are not able to resolve your issue or concern having spoken with the minister, or if it is inappropriate to do so, then please contact the relevant Archdeacon whose details are listed below:
Rev Preb Giles King-Smith (Acting Archdeacon of Barnstaple). Springfield Rd, Woolacombe, EX34 7BX. 01271 375475 Email Giles
The Venerable Andrew Beane. Emmanuel House, Station Road, Ide, Exeter EX2 9RS. 01392 425577 Email Andrew
The Venerable Douglas Dettmer. Blue Hills, Bradley Road, Bovey Tracey, Newton Abbot TQ13 9EU. 01626 832064 Email Douglas
The Venerable Nick Shutt. St Mark’s House 1 Sanctuary Close Plymouth PL2 1EN. 01752 858382 Email Nick
If you are unsure who is the correct archdeacon, please contact whoever is geographically closest to you. They will advise who to contact if they are not the right archdeacon.
The Archdeacon will contact you to discuss your concerns and, if appropriate, will arrange to meet with you. The Archdeacon will listen carefully to your concerns and discuss with you the issues you have raised. The Archdeacon will then write to you (either by letter or email) setting out what action (if any) is to be taken by the Archdeacon and giving you a time frame for further communication.
Each case will need an individual tailored response, because no two cases are the same. For example, in terms of a response, the Archdeacon may wish to consult with colleagues, have a conversation with the minister, or contact others who may be able to assist. The Archdeacon will encourage reconciliation and restoration of good Christian relations wherever possible.