The Diocesan Registry
The Work of the Diocesan Registry
The Diocesan Registrar is the legal officer of the Diocese. He and his colleagues at the Diocesan Registry are responsible for:
- Giving general legal advice to clergy, parish officers, boards and councils about their functions
- Responding to enquires relating to marriage, baptism, confirmation and burial from clergy and laity
- Acting as Registrar of the Diocesan Synod
- Preparing various documents and the maintenance of Diocesan records
- Operating of the faculty jurisdiction
Such advice is given free of charge to parishes and diocesan officers. It is always best to ask for advice from the Registry sooner rather than later, as legal problems, if left unaddressed, can become increasingly difficult to resolve.
Contact details are as follows:
Mr Martin Follett – Diocesan Registrar 01392 687415 Email Martin Follett
Mr Alan Barr – Registry Manager 01392 687421 Email Alan Barr
The staff of the Registry are members of Michelmores LLP, solicitors, which has a particular involvement with the Church of England throughout this Diocese and the Diocese of Truro. Their postal address is: Michelmores LLP Woodwater House Pynes Hill Exeter EX2 5WR
The Chancellor for the Diocese is The Rt Hon Sir Andrew McFarlane. The Chancellor is the judge for the Diocese in matters of church law, which are heard in a Consistory Court. He also acts as the Bishop’s legal advisor.
Chancellor McFarlane is also a Family Division High Court Judge and a Lord Justice of Appeal.