Liturgy and Music
As Consultant for Liturgy and Music at the Diocese, Andrew Maries is available to deaneries, mission communities and parishes to help and advise on the development, resourcing and expression of corporate worship. This service, which can include personal visits, is offered free of charge. He can be contacted on 01884 34389 or by email.
Andrew encourages an eclectic and inclusive approach to worship, reflecting the key elements of Christian Faith – spiritual encounter, community, and a holistic approach to mission.
Advice for particular situations includes:
- Suggestions for developing a balanced repertoire for corporate worship
- Resources for planning and preparing worship
- Ideas for making worship more accessible to the outsider
- Expressing worship within diverse traditions
- The key role of music within worship and mission
- Ideas for encouraging young people’s participation in worship
- Music and worship in small situations
- Mediating difficult pastoral situations within music and worship
Andrew is also willing to make personal visits to help with:
- The establishment of new patterns and approaches on an on-going basis
- The networking of resources for particular situations
- Practical training for musicians and leaders of worship in workshops, courses, training events, experiencing fresh approaches to worship etc.
- Animating congregational worship – developing suitable repertoire, leader skills, creative ideas, cantor skills
- Taizé, Iona worship materials
- Music with children in mind
RSCM is the official church music body within the Church of England. It is currently broadening its base and profile to encourage a greater diversity of musical style and approach to fit the changing needs of church music.
Here in Devon, we have been in the forefront of expanding the boundaries and, as well as maintaining traditional elements with our annual Choral Festival, ‘Come and Sing Evensong’ in Exeter Cathedral etc., we have also been promoting and supporting jazz and gospel music, training for music groups and help with congregational singing and engagement. Andrew Maries is currently chairman of RSCM Devon.
Please visit the RSCM Devon website for more information.