Sources of grant funding
NEW 2023 BROCHURE
2023 Grant Funding – Clergy
for an extensive list of grant-making trusts and national charities that may be able to help. Please check grant criteria before applying.
Within the Diocese of Exeter there are a number of trusts available predominantly for the support and relief of clergy and their dependents.
THE DIOCESE OF EXETER TRUSTS
and a brief description of the terms under which they are able to support grant applications are listed below:
The Bishop of Exeter’s Clergy Fund
For the advancement of religion through the support of licensed clergy and others employed and/or actively engaged in the ministry of the Church of England in Devon. Application forms can be obtained from your Suffragan Bishop, Archdeacon, Rural Dean or directly from the Bishop of Exeter’s office. The form can also be downloaded here: Clergy Fund Application Form
There are a number of Minor Trusts administered by Exeter Cathedral listed below. Applications are invited from clergy once a year. For an application form please contact the Cathedral offices. https://www.exeter-cathedral.org.uk/about-us/minor-trusts
- PHILPOTT BOYD EDUCATION – Educational trust – support for clergy – especially for those taking higher degrees (clergy in the Diocese of Truro are also eligible).
- BOYD FOR EXHIBITIONS – Assistance for the sons of clergy under 25 for any educational purpose
- PHILPOTT BOYD CHURCH ENDOWMENT – For relief of clergy and dependents.
- MARY MARRIOTT TRUST – School fees for sons of clergy at Exeter Cathedral School.
- HARRINGTON – Bursaries for boy choristers at Exeter Cathedral School.
- BOYD FOR APPRENTICING – Financial assistance to boy choristers and ex choristers under 25.
- REYNOLDS WHALE – For students in need who are studying for holy orders under sponsorship of the Diocese of Exeter or dependents of said students. Preference given to students educated in, or resident in the Diocese. To apply for funding from the Reynolds Whale trust, please contact the DDO office in the first instance.
- CARYLL WENBON – Support & Maintenance of schools in Exeter providing training in doctrine of COE.
Grigg Smith Fund
The fund provided grants of up to £50 for theological books for clergy in the Diocese of Exeter. The money is paid retrospectively on production of receipts. Please email Justine Tear Bishop Robert’s EA or write to The Bishop’s Office, The Gatehouse, Palace Gate, Exeter EX1 1HX.
St Luke’s Foundation –http://www.st-lukes-foundation.org.uk/
Offers grants for those undertaking study at postgraduate level.
Sarum St Michael Education Charity – https://www.sarumstmichael.org/page11.html
Clergy may apply for grants for post-graduate course funding, sabbaticals, attending conferences, etc. Those training to become Self-Supporting Ministers may apply for grants for books or travel.