PipeUp Devon is the Diocese of Exeter Young Organists’ Training Scheme which aims to inspire, enable and improve the skills of young church organists in Devon.
The scheme embraces these objectives:
- To stimulate interest in playing the organ among young people in Devon and to provide subsidised tuition.
- To provide the churches of the Exeter diocesan area with a greater number of organists than is presently available.
The scheme offers students aged 11-18:
- The opportunity to transfer existing keyboard skills to a second and exciting new instrument. Students should already be playing the piano, ideally to Grade 5 standard.
- The opportunity to offer your skills to your local church and become of real value to your local community.
- Students are given 30 lessons a year at a cost to the student of £15 per hour. Lessons usually last 30 minutes (beginners) or 1 hour (more advanced).
- Students may have the opportunity to enter for the Royal College of Organists’ Certificate of Accredited Membership and diploma exams.
- Students are encouraged to belong to their local Organists’ Association so that they can take part in visits to organs in Devon and beyond and other social events; through the society’s affiliation to the Incorporated Association of Organists, a subscription to Organists’ Review may be obtained at 25% discount.
The scheme offers churches:
- The opportunity to assist in the training of new organists, who can provide an invaluable service to their church.
- The opportunity to be available for young organists to learn and to contribute to music making in church services.
What is expected from the students?
The scheme aims to improve the standard of organ playing in services at all levels of ability, from beginner to diploma standard. Students are expected to have regular tuition with an approved tutor. They are also expected to undertake an appropriate amount of practice and have access to a suitable practice instrument. Tutors will monitor students’ progress and report.
Who has devised the scheme?
The scheme was supported initially by grants from the Ouseley Church Music Trust and the St Wilfrid’s Trust. Subsequently, we have received grants from the Michael James Trust, the Exeter & District Classical Music Trust, the Ecclesiastical Music trust, the Eric Thompson Trust, the Provincial Grand Lodge of Devonshire and the Pilling Trust.
The panel of experienced tutors includes:
Nick Brown (Colyton), Andrew Downton (South Devon), Ian Curror (Totnes), Peter Lea-Cox (Colyton), Andrew Millington (Exeter), Timothy Noon (Exeter), Timothy Parsons (Exeter), Matthew Searles (Buckfast), Stephen Tanner (Budleigh Salterton), Tony Yates (Topsham).
Where do I find out more?
For further information, to book a place on a forthcoming workshop, or to arrange an initial meeting with a tutor, please contact the PipeUp Devon Administrator Mark Perry on 01395 279673 or email Mark
Click here to download a Consent Form
Click here to download the PipeUp Devon Safeguarding Policy
Click here to download the Organists for the Future Event – Whenever & wherever it is Flyer
Click here to open Exeter & District Organists’ Association website
Click here to open Torbay Organists’ Association website